Sunday, August 10, 2014

Why is what we want to know. And How.

Tonight I received a copy of an email a good friend, Doug Franks, sent to some of his family and friends.  His comments about how much we don't know got me thinking so I responded with the following gibberish.  Enjoy!

We want to know what we do not know.  Mona and I are engaged in full time seeking of historical what-we-don't-knows. I walk towns and museums and old forts.  She reads voraciously. 

I spent the last 19 years of my life seeking God's what-we-don't-knows. And before that 27 years seeking what-I-don't-knows that I could sell and make a dime from.

We so want to know what we don't that we will spend billions on research and comparative millions on public education.  I'm not griping.  This is what we have done as humans since Sumer.  OK, we spend billions more on military defense, but isn't that pretty much to keep what we have learned in our seeking from an 'enemies' hands and minds?



I watched the super moon with Mona and some new friends tonight as it rose over our campground in very rural west Kansas (Scott Lake State Park). It was cool, and big, but as I watched it rise, and took a picture of it, I noticed that unless I enlarged the picture it was pretty much the same moon I've always looked up to see.  But when I enlarged it then the round orb lost its features and just became a blob of yellow light on a dark mat.  Not so super anymore.

I wonder if that may be happening with all of our quantum, micro, macro, and multi-universal discoveries and theories.  The harder we look into one the fuzzier what we know of it and others becomes.




Mona and I visited Princeton, NJ on Einstein's birthday this year.  The town goes nuts over Einstein every year at that time but we'd never visited before. You know what I remember about that day?  I remember a quote a shop owner who had a small Einstein museum  sort of thing behind the Einstein silly T's gave us. She said something like, "I knew the man when he lived down the street from my aunt.  He was a nut. He makes one big discovery and spends his life trying to defend it as pieces of it are ripped apart by his 'friends'.  He should have spent his life fishing."

I don't know if the great man would have enjoyed a life of fishing, but when he was sailing, which I know he enjoyed, he was still always wondering about what he did not know.

We are cursed with wanting to know.

I'm retired, and I still want to know more.  Why did Colonel Chivington want so badly to kill Indians that he thought it was all right to murder mother's and babes at their Peace Camp on Sand Creek?  Why did 19th century American Indians think retributive murders and kidnappings of children into slavery was OK? Why does God love me, when I have disappointed Him so often?



I'm retired and I can't stop asking WHY!

Good night from the Central Time Zone on the edge of the Mountain Time Zone.  Yawn!

Ken

2 comments:

  1. Through out my 71 yrs. I have found there is NO answer to WHY. We are in God's hands, that is faith. The Lord has provided us with beautiful surroundings, but most times we take things for granted. There are many things we take for granted, like the air we breath. We fail to take advantage of peoples talents, these are also God given. We are NOT perfect, but God chose to love us not matter what. For all of us it is tme to smell the roses. God Blessings in your search & travel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smelling roses Keith! And the other smells of farm and ranch. :)

    ReplyDelete