Sunday, June 8, 2014

Thank You All so much!



Today was my last sermon at Hope Church in Douglassville, PA.  Something tells me it won't be my last sermon ever.


The children, teens, and adults of Hope, and SO MANY friends and relatives, came to our combined service at 10 am today to praise God with a one show only DORRELL LENTZ CREW return praise team offering. They also came to hear my last message, to share a humongous lunch and to spend so much longer than I feel any pastor deserves being told of the lives touched and changed by things Mona and I did in our 17 years at Hope.

When I think of the pastors and missionaries I've known who have gone to their graves appreciated, yes, but sometimes never hearing just how God has used them to reach out to others with His Word.

So here's one last story to share from the legacy of our time at Hope Church.

I can't give you this person's name.  But we spent 15 minutes in prayer and in discussion over needs they had to have addressed NOW, regardless of the need others had for me to cut cakes, be selfied, and otherwise get personally blessed by each person at Hope Church.

They had been driving by the church on rte 422 and had seen all the cars (today was the largest single service in Hope's history). Parking was literally all over the place. They had been hurting and in need of a positive, hopefully godly, conversation.  They turned into our lot.

They walked in to the church to find that the person they thought God was directing them to, the pastor, was retiring and all those gathered were on hand to kick him out in the street (figuratively speaking, sort of, you know?).

But then they saw an old friend and by the time my lunch was over the two of them had gotten my attention and the two of us went to the quiet pavillion to talk. They asked for 10 minutes.  I was able to give 15.  I've never found that God doesn't provide just the time you need for anything if you put what He wants done first.

We prayed a couple of times.  They shared and asked for advice.  I gave the little I could and they accepted it as from God, not just me. My prayer for this person is now like this. Please pray it with me:
1. Find a church home and pastor with whom you click spiritually.  There are dozens to choose from but pray continually before you enter any one place for God to tell you if THIS is the one He wants for you.
2. Don't settle for a church and pastor that clicks.  Make sure you can get into a small group or class and make a few very good friends who are also struggling as you are in faith and life.  The struggles will never go away.  But the way we and God deal with them will only get better!
3. Stay in daily prayer (conversation) with God. Start your day with Him.  Spend it with Him. End it each evening with Him. You don't know how?  Talk with those other struggling Christians you just met in your new small group.  You'll figure it out!

So you see, no one ever retires from God's ministry.  You may never get paid for it, or ever get paid for it again, in cash.  But oh dear Lord, you WILL be paid so that your cup of life overflows!



-Pastor Ken



1 comment: